Joints connect your bones together, support your weight, and make motion possible. Damage to your joints from disease or injury can cause pain, hinder movement, and prevent you from enjoying your favorite activities. Here are some of the most common causes and treatments for joint pain, as well as the benefits of using orthobiologics to treat these conditions.
Common causes of joint pain
- Osteoarthritis (OA) — The most common joint condition, osteoarthritis occurs when there is a breakdown of the cartilage between the bones, causing the exposed bones to rub together.
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) — RA is another common condition that causes the inflammation of the tissues and joints surrounding the bones.
- Osteoporosis — Osteoporosis is a common bone disease characterized by weak and fragile bones. It can also impact your joints.
- Bursitis — Bursitis is a condition that occurs when the bursae, which is a fluid-filled sac that cushions your joint’s muscles, tendons, and bones, becomes inflamed.
- Tendonitis / Tendinopathy — Tendonitis refers to the inflammation or irritation of tendons around a joint. Tendinopathy refers to various degrees of tendon tearing from partial to full thickness tears which can happen from trauma or from chronic wear and tear changes. Tendons connect muscle to bone and if they are injured, joint motion can decrease or be painful and joints may become weaker.
Treatment options for joint pain
Treatment options for joint pain will vary depending on the cause and the severity of the condition. Traditional options include medications, physical therapy, lifestyle changes, steroid or gel injections, braces, and even surgery.
Now there is a potentially better nonsurgical option for treating joint pain ——orthobiologic injections using PRP or BMC. These natural injections harness our bodies’ ability to heal itself and as a result, are safe and repeatable and often more powerful than other injection options. Additionally, orthobiologic injection benefits can last a year or more from a single injection!
Benefits of using orthobiologics for joint pain
Orthobiologics are natural substances, such as blood components, cells, growth factors, and tissue, that are harnessed to aid in the healing of orthopedic conditions or injuries. Our bodies have multiple systems designed to heal minor joint and tissue damage and to maintain overall health and function.
There are many benefits of choosing orthobiologics for joint pain. Orthobiologics minimize inflammation, increase blood flow, and stimulate local cells to repair or restore the normal environment.
Ideally, patients get a reduction in pain, stiffness, and swelling as well as long-lasting improvement in joint health. Further, these solutions have the potential to delay or even eliminate the need for joint replacement surgery.
PRP is made by drawing your own blood and concentrating the parts that are so important in the healing and joint repair process.
Bone marrow concentrate is made from an in-office mini bone marrow aspiration and uses the same concentrating processes as PRP to create the injection.
Both regenerative medicine injections can be done during in-office visits that take less than an hour! The rehab process is also far simpler since no surgery is involved. Most patients start to have measurable improvements within two weeks!
Find out if you’re a candidate for orthobiologics for joint pain
If you have joint pain that limits your activities or disturbs your sleep, you owe it to yourself to investigate these quick, effective, evidence-based nonsurgical regenerative medicine options.
Dr. Don Buford with Texas Orthobiologics is the leading orthopedic surgeon expert in regenerative medicine in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. To learn more about platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and bone marrow concentrate (BMC) for joint pain, and find out if you are a candidate for this groundbreaking therapy, contact us today to schedule an initial appointment.